Thursday, September 30, 2010

Letter Sent to FOX News Live Desk Show

Hi Martha & Bill:

Last week you did a story on very petite woman who harpooned and killed a huge crocodile. I must say that I was sickened by the glee in which you both expressed how impressed you were with this woman. Let me introduce myself. I bill myself as The Conservative Animal Rights Activist. I watch you every morning along with O’Reilly and Hannity every night. I’d watch Greta, who is an animal lover, but I must watch Two and Half Men. You don't get any more conservative then that. And you also don’t have to be a left wing wing nut to be an animal rights activist. I wasn’t going to bother writing you because I am very busy with my cruelty free women’s fashion company, Saint Francis Couture, www.saintfranciscouture.com and my teaching job. However, I received a call from a gentleman in Pennsylvania who wanted a recommendation for my web provider. We got to talking about our love for animals and he mentioned that he had seen a story about a tiny woman that had killed this huge crocodile on FOX and how sick it made him and his son, who like me is a vegetarian. I also have to say that based on the words of that woman, which were, “We picked a nice one out,” that this was probably a “canned hunt.” Canned hunts are one of the most egregious forms of animal cruelty there is. Animals are raised in enclosed areas by individuals, and consequently have no fear of humans. Some of these animals are even given names that they respond to, which enables the so called hunter to get incredibly close to the totally unsuspecting animal. I saw a video shot by an undercover animal rights person at a canned hunt where a deer was herded up against a bobbed wire fence and this “hunter” was three feet away from the dear shooting again and again, while the deer, injured and terrified, was trying desperately to get away. Obviously, to no avail. Viscerally sad and disgusting to watch. And something you never forget.

I realize that a crocodile is not as cute as a dear, but it is still a living thing and does not deserve to be tortured and killed, and believe me they are tortured when killed this way. Even if it was not a canned hunt, my question is, what kind of individual takes pleasure in killing something that is of no threat to them or anyone else, and is only guilty of just trying to make a living like all of us - something that feels pain and fear just like we do. And the way in which you both expressed such, again I can’t think of a better word then “glee,” in reporting the incident, I have to say I really developed somewhat of a dislike for you both.
And, Bill, I’ve been watching you since before you came to FOX. In fact, I think you’re the reason I started watching FOX. I’m very disappointed to see this side of you. Not long ago I remember that you said that you didn’t think you should be reporting on animals at all. Was that because you don’t like them, or because they are not news worthy? In any case, you seemed to enjoy reporting on the killing of these two animals. And Martha, I was disappointed to see Megyn, (I know she is an animal lover) go to a different time period, but I had really begun to like you. Not so much anymore.

If all of that wasn’t bad enough, this morning you had a story of a high school girl killing a 300 pound bear with a bow and arrow. Again it was all so impressive to you both. If you don’t think being harpooned or killed with a bow and arrow, of which it would take many to bring down animals of the size we’re talking about, you need to think again. This is torture. And for what reason? Why is killing something in such a torturous way something to be proud of? And why do the two of you take such delight in reporting it?

When I see these stories I have to say it ruins my day on so many levels, one of which is that as much as enjoy watching FOX, I don’t want to watch your show any longer. Watching you both giggle and joke about something that is so incredibly sad is really disgusting to me. And based on the fact that I spoke to someone thousands of miles away that I have never spoken to before who feels the same, I would say that there are many of us out there that share the same emotions and opinions.
I sincerely hope that after reading this you may look at these incidents through a different prism. And I would really appreciate knowing how you feel about what I have written. If I can get one person to think differently, to think better of animals, farm animals, domestic, wild, all animals, then I am happy for having done so. If not, then you are entitled to your opinion.

Respectfully,

Tere Albanese – Simi Valley, CA
Designer
Saint Francis Couture
couture@saintfranciscouture.com
818-424-1654

cc: Bill Hemmer; Megyn Kelly; Greta van Susteren; Bill O’Reilly; Sean Hannity

No comments: